Eric's and Cheri's 'farm'

This is the story of how a man and a his wife, or is it a woman and her husband, picked up everything they owned and moved to rural Florida to start a new life together, or that is with their two new horses, and their three mini aussies, and their new deer, andthe spiders, and the rabbits, and the mosquitos, and the . . .

Monday, August 01, 2005

More History . . . A Different Perspective . . .

Hi!

This is Eric! As in Eric and Cheri's Farm Eric!

Anyway, I thought I'd add a few posts of my own now and then, to give a different perspective, as they say, to this blog.

And, as Cheri started, so shall I, so, for a bit of history . . .

The story starts out simply enough . . .

Boy meets Girl,
they date for a while,
they fall in love,
they eventually get engaged,
they get married and live happily ever after!

Oh, except that after being married for a few months, she drops the big one . . .




No! She wasn't pregnant!

No, despite everything she told me about being DONE with horses, after all, she had been raised on a horse farm, where she had her 'home' work to do after she finished her homework from school. In fact, she TOLD me that she had grown to really dislike horses! . . . No, she told me that she REALLY wanted a horse! A really big one that even I could ride if I chose to!

Now let me explain something. I had been on the back of a horse exactly once in my life, and it was a well trained, but ornery, pony with and even meaner owner who blindly set a seven year old absolute neon green rider on the back of the pony without a single word of instruction and proceeded to SLAP! the pony's butt! at which point it went head first down the 45 degree grade in front of it at a canter as I folded over the right front sholder and hit face first into the dirt. The only thing I remember after that is my dad's friend, the owner, laughing uproariously as my dad made a quick excuse and got his inept and completely embarasing son out of there!

But I love my wife with every particle of my being, even the naughty ones, and there was nothing I wouldn't do for her, so I looked her in the eyes and told her, "Thats OK sweetheart, we can get a horse."

A horse . . .

A, as in single . . .

In fact, what we discussed was a very logical plan wherein we would get a couple of bills payed off so we could aford to lease a horse for awhile. This would give Cheri a chance to work her way back into horses and I would have a chance to become familiar, and comfortable, with horses. After leasing a horse for awhile, we would buy some property with an eye to building a house and horse facilities, because neither one of us could see paying the high price for stable care when we could spend the same money on a stable real estate investment!

But all of that besides the point, I said "a" horse. Remember that.


"Oh, but wouldn't it be great to go horseback riding together?" She says, half inquiringly.

Of course it would, sweetheart . . .

"Wouldn't it be great if we got a mare that we could breed back to Bright? Can you imagine a draft sized leapard spotted app?"

That sounds great sweetheart . . .

"IF we're going to breed the mare then we really should buy a mare in foal to be certain that she can concieve . . ."

That make wonderful sence sweetheart . . .

Thinking back upon it, its easy to see how I got here. But when I was living through it, I swear, I didn't see it sneaking up on me! It was positively insideous! And yet, I somehow managed to agree to it all . . . somehow , , ,


More history on my next entry where you see me doing my best Za Za impression . . .

Eric "the confused"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home