Eric's and Cheri's 'farm'

This is the story of how a man and a his wife, or is it a woman and her husband, picked up everything they owned and moved to rural Florida to start a new life together, or that is with their two new horses, and their three mini aussies, and their new deer, andthe spiders, and the rabbits, and the mosquitos, and the . . .

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Hay and Soybeans

Went and bought feed for the deer today. Got them a bag of soybeans, and a bail of orchard/alfalfa, which is deer rancher talk for orchard grass mixed with alfalfa. Also got them two bags of Record Rack deer feed. It tastes pretty good, but my rack hasn't improved any,....

I think I will scatter a can full of soybeans around their yard every night. Give them a little more of the foraging experience,...

The lady at the feed store is worried for our life and limb. She recommends that we do NOT use our original plan to get the cow on the trailer. She said to try parking the trailer butt up against the gate, and haze the cow into that. If that doesn't work, give her a call and she will come out and help. How cool is that?!?

Someone asked us if we had named her. Eric said we were calling her T-bone. I said that wasn't a very girly name! That's what you would call a steer! So our friend Joan suggested Fillet. That sounds sufficiently girly for a hefier bound for the freezer,...

And the vet convinced me to leave the antlers alone untill I had a 'squeeze' to catch the deer in. There are professional deer squeezes (you herd them down diminishing pathways untill they have no where else to go except into a small chute. Then you squeeze it snug around them to hold them safe and secure while you preform necessary chores; shots, worming, antler removal,...)

One of our friends will be over Mon night to show Eric how to dispatch and dress the middle buck. Jax is very sad,.... Not that we are going to eat a deer, but that it doesn't seem to have a sporting chance,.... I told her this deer comes from 1000 years of domestic stock, (they are Fallow deer) and would probably freak out if let out of it's familiar surroundings,...

I am nagging Eric to download some pictures. A few of the farm, a few of the Northern Atlantic Right Whale calf I sculpted, and a few of my faux painting jobs,.... He says the sculpting and faux painting aren't farm related, but I reasoned that they are, as the whale was made at work, where I go every day to earn the money to pay for my horses, and the faux painting is going to hopefully pay for my new kitchen, with the stainless steel appliances and the black quartze countertops!

later,
Cheri'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home